Wednesday 27 November 2013

Honey Cowl (modified from Ravelry)

One of my all time favourite cowl patterns to knit (and wear) is the Honey Cowl from Madelinetosh.  It is a free knitting pattern, so no excuses for not making one for yourself if you can knit.

Making one for myself at the start of each winter might have to become a new annual ritual. I thrashed the one I made this last winter. Although there is plenty of life left in it yet, I would love to have another couple of colour options. Below is a photo of my beta original, along with a second version in a different colour which is all ready to be shipped off to someone special!

Honey Cowls in purple and plum, knitted with Malabrigo

It is knit in the round on circular knitting needles and uses a very easy slip stitch waffle pattern. The slip stitch provides almost a double fabric effect, making it super toasty warm. There is also the option of making a single or double cowl. Next time I'd make it a double cowl as it has a lot more variety in terms of how you can wrap and wear it. But a single cowl is a good option for something easy to wear or for anyone dealing with hot flushes.

Unfortunately I couldn't track down any Madelinetosh yarn. If anyone knows where I can get some in New Zealand, can you let me know? I substituted Malabrigo Rios, purchased from the wonderful Holland Road Yarn Company in Petone, Wellington. Although I did have to make a few modifications as this is a different weight to the recommended Madelinetosh dk yarn.

I'm really pleased with the final result. Wearing it is like having kittens cuddle your neck all day, the yarn is that soft. My resolution for next year is that I need more Malabrigo in my life, although that is one resolution that won't be a chore to complete.

You can download a copy of the Honey Cowl pattern for yourself either from Madelinetosh or directly from Ravelry. My modifications are listed below for now. They will eventually make it to my Ravelry page at some stage (maybe after the holiday rush!)

Pattern modifications:
Substituted Malabrigo for recommended yarn.
Knit on 4.5mm needles as I have a very loose guage. Shows the need to do a knitting swatch before starting!
Cast on 90 stitches due to yarn being a different weight.

1 comment:

  1. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!
    Skull Scarves UK

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Pinterest